Tuesday 25 December 2012

My Christmas

Twenty-three, that is the number of Christmases I have had. Of them, 16 have been celebrated in Florida. Between Walt Disney World and my Grandparent's house, I was unsure what a white Christmas was until I was 17, and luckily for me, global warming had already started to make its effect on Canada, so I still have not really experienced a white Christmas.

I remember one year, Santa, dropped off presents in Florida and at my home in Canada, that was a pretty cool year. I think I got a pink "My Little Pony." Im so blessed, my parents have always spoiled me.

My Dad picked me up from the train station, Sunday morning, and since I wasn't feeling too well, he brought me home, so I could sleep. My mom welcomed me with lots of hugs and kisses, and our dog, Harley followed me around everywhere, such a warm welcome. Mom knew I wasn't feeling well and already had soup on, soup, ginger ale and a warm bed was everything I needed.

Christmas Eve day, my Dad was out doing some last minute shopping, and volunteering, while I had tea and biscuits with my mom. We watched Christmas movies, and caught up. Traditionally, we have always had small appetizers for our Christmas Eve dinner, while we all laugh to Chevy Chase and the Grisword's in Christmas Vacation. We watch the news, and find out where Santa is. I don't leave cookies anymore, I think Santa likes eggnog much more!

I remember when I was younger, I would wake up early, so excited to see what Santa brought. I would check all the tags, and put my presents near the front, thinking I could open them first. Now, my parents have to wake me up, because they want to open presents- today, around noon.

A family tradition is to have a baked sausage, egg and cheese soufflé before we open presents, and it is my favourite meal ever. If I were to ever be required to choose a last meal, that would -without a doubt, be it. Bailey's coffee in hand, we head to the tree.

Stockings first.

Then the search for the Pickle. Yes, my mom hangs a pickle ornament on the tree, every year, and the first person to find it, gets to open the first gift. I always find it first!!!

I always love my presents, I am excited to cook a pot roast for my roommate, Sara with my new Crock Pot! Christmas is not just about the gifts, I love spending time with my family, it's as if I am a kid again. I always feel so safe at home, being in the comfort of my home with the 2 people I love most, is the best gift of all.

I can't wait to start planning my next trip home.

xo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment