Wednesday 19 December 2012

Holiday Banter: Guns in America

In the wake of the horrid shooting last week, I decided to watch Michael Moore's famed "Bowling for Columbine." I remember the exact day that the Columbine shooting happened, I was in Grade 4 and came home to my weeping mother, shocked by what world was coming to. I was far too young to understand the gravity of what had happened that day, but since April 20, 1999, there have been 31 mass shooting in schools in America, and I have become much to accustomed to their occurrence.

Like everyone else, I wonder what causes this to happen? Who are there young people who bring guns to school? How could one take another person's life? And why does this keep happening?

There never will be a concrete answer to any of those questions, all that is clear is that there is a pattern, it has happened in the past, and will happen again in the future, each time, more grotesque than the last.

I believe that the only way to prevent shootings from happening over and over again is to make the purchase of guns near impossible- as Michael Moore urged Wal-mart to do at the end of the movie; and to educate young people, teach them how to deal with their feelings, and give them alternatives to grabbing a gun and heading out to make an impulse decision; and lastly, I am stealing this one from 'Bowling for Columbine' but it could not be more true, change the tone of the news- American news is terrifying, fear is instilled in Americans from and early age and resonates for their entire life. Preventative action is needed to solve the problem here.

It needs to happen before more shootings happen. There are already 30 families mourning the loss of their babies this Christmas, as an intelligent region of the world, we do have the power to change things.

How about smiling at someone when they pass us on the street, or letting the elderly person jump in front of you in line- anywhere! the 'pay-it-forward' state of mind, pushes people to be selfless in their day to day life. As a Canadian, I always hold the door for someone, no matter how long I have to stand there, I do this when I visit America as well, and people are shocked by my kindness. This should just be something we are expected to do, helping others should make us happier.

On that note, let's pray for the families in Newton, and pay-it-forward this holiday season.

xo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment