Wednesday 9 January 2013

Dedicated to Mr. Brian Burke

As a Canadian, hockey has always been a huge part of my life. My Dad was a referee up until last year, my family billeted Jr. A players, my friends always played hockey and watching live games became a favourite past time that lasted for 20 years.

I have had a change of heart about the game since this past lockout. I think it is silly to have such a public lockout over the large amounts of money that the league was dealing with. The majority of people who watch the sport, are regular people, who make regular wages, and having it blasted all over the televisions, and newspapers about just how much money the players and owners are making already and to be demanding more, is ridiculous.

From a PR perspective, I think that the honestly and transparency is important, however I think the lockout has hurt the sport a great deal. I feel that current impression of players and owners is that they are greedy- and who can blame them? It will be interesting to see whether or not the lockout affects the number of people who purchase tickets to games.

A ticket for a Toronto Maple Leaf game can easily set you back $200, in addition to dinner and drinks before and during the game; and for those who are driving in from out of town: the cost of gas, and parking, their hotels, and the time they spend taking time off work or away from family. It is not cheap to see an NHL game.

I work in the service industry, and if I had a dollar for every time someone has asked me if the lockout has affected my business.....I wouldn't be complaining, BUT it has. The lockout has affected a lot of businesses: restaurants and bars, hotels and shopping centres. Hockey brings in the right kind of business. The customers we want. They aren't cheap like basketball fans, or obnoxious like baseball fans. They are loyal to the sport, and want a beer in front of them, and to have their bill settled up in time to catch the National Anthem. A bartender's dream guest.

I think it would be great if nobody showed up to the NHL arenas for the rest of the season. You want to watch the game, go watch at a local sports bar and support the businesses that have been affected most by the lockout. Trade in $150 tickets and $13 beers for free entry and $5 pints.

I feel like it's time for the fans to strike. Hold on to their hard earned money, and enjoy the game in an different way- a local sports bar, with other fans. Save the extra money, meet some new friends and pour money back into the businesses that have lost out because of greed. 



2013 Leafs Promo Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNvF4JczHQ

xo Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment